How to Get a Tanker Endorsement
Published Oct 10, 2021
A tanker endorsement, a type of supplemental CDL, allows a truck driver to transport any kind of liquid. This certification is listed on their CDL, demonstrating that they have advanced liquid hauling equipment and safety training. Driving a tanker without adequate training is extremely dangerous, as an unskilled driver might easily roll their tanker or create an accident that causes major damage or injury.
There are two types of endorsements for tankers:
- N Endorsement is necessary for drivers hauling liquids or gas in tank vehicles with a capacity of more than 1,000 gallons.
- The X Endorsement combines a tanker endorsement with a hazardous endorsement, allowing drivers to transport cargoes such as gasoline.
Three factors determine whether a tanker endorsement is required for your load. If all three of these conditions apply to your load, the driver must have a tanker endorsement:
- Individual liquid or gaseous containers with a capacity of more than 119 gallons are considered cargo.
- Containers are not empty; they are loaded.
- The trailer’s total capacity of liquid or gaseous components surpasses 1,000 gallons.
This means that every commercial driver transporting liquids or gaseous products must have a tanker endorsement if the prerequisites are met. Even if it isn’t in a normal tanker trailer, such as a reefer, box truck, dry van, flatbed, or any other type of commercial vehicle, this is true.
The Department of Transportation (DOT) can conduct random inspections of commercial drivers at any time for any cause. However, there can be serious implications if a driver is being inspected without the required certifications. Not only will the driver face a hefty punishment, but he or she may also be forced to leave the road. Furthermore, the shipment will be delayed indefinitely until another driver with the appropriate certification is available to complete the shipment.
Even if your vehicle has smaller tanks containing liquids, you must still obtain a tanker certification. Many shippers are unaware that they require this qualification, and a driver may be terminated if they do not have it. However, it is simple to obtain.
(Related: Here’s How To Get A Driver’s License In California)
Here’s what you should know:
- To be eligible for a CDL with a tanker endorsement, you must first fulfill the following steps:
- You must be at least 18 years old.
- You must have a valid United States passport or legal residency in the United States.
- If the CDL is from another state, you must first surrender the old one and apply for a new one in the new state.
- If you don’t already have a CDL, you’ll need to apply for one and receive it before you can apply for an endorsement.
- At the DMV, you must pass an eye exam and provide a recent photo.
- Any application and training fees must be paid.
- Before earning an endorsement, you must pass each of the tanker and hazardous material tests independently.
- To add a Tank Vehicle Endorsement, you must have a Commercial Class B or Class A type license.
You should be able to pass the Hazardous Material Endorsement knowledge test and apply for the endorsement. If you already have or don’t need an HME, or if you don’t qualify for one, you should make it clear on the forms you’re submitting to the DMV.
Lost Your Birth Certificate? Request A Replacement Online
Instant Vital Records offers a birth certificate replacement service you can use from the comfort of your home. Enter your information and our software will automatically complete the required forms for your state. We print and mail your forms along with required payments to your state health department. You can trust that we take your personal information privacy and security seriously with HIPAA compliant data storage and data encryption. To get started, simply click here to begin your application. Your replacement documents will arrive by mail to your home within a few weeks.
This Blog Is Fact Checked By Experts
Our team of experts has thoroughly verified the accuracy of this content. For detailed information on the editorial guidelines followed on our website, please click here.
About The Author
Krizzia Paolyn holds a bachelor’s degree in Psychology. She is a professional writer for various digital magazines and renowned publications. It has always been her passion to share her voice, and at the same time, to encourage others to share their voices as well.