How to Apply for a Maryland Identification Card
Published Nov 21, 2021
When you begin new employment, your employer is required to request identification from you. Carrying a photo identification card (ID), like a Maryland identification card, can also make certain types of services — such as public benefits — easier to get. Often, an ID is required simply to enter the premises where shelter and public benefits hearings are in place.
Who Can Apply For a Maryland ID?
You may apply for a Maryland state ID card if you are one of the following:
- a citizen of the United States
- a permanent resident immigrant
- a non-immigrant who possesses appropriate papers from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services
How to Get a Maryland State ID
To apply for a Maryland identification card, you must bring proof of identity, residency, citizenship, along with your social security documents.
- Proof of identification and date of birth — full legal name and date of birth (the full legal name refers to the applicant’s first, middle, and last names in their whole, without the use of initials or nicknames).
- U.S. birth certificate
- Permanent Resident Card
- Certificate of Naturalization
- Certificate of Citizenship
- Valid (unexpired) U.S. passport
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)
- Employment Authorization Documents (EAD)
- Seniors Age 65 and Older
- For adopted individuals, US or MD Birth Certificate with Adoption Records/Certificate/Decree (Customers born abroad adopted by US citizens)
- Adoption records from the US with full name and date of birth
- Valid foreign passport with U.S. visa and I-94
- Unexpired Foreign Passport WITHOUT current, valid USCIS documentation
- Unexpired consular ID (consular ID’s are only accepted from Guatemala, Mexico, and Ecuador
Remember: IF YOUR NAME HAS CHANGED, YOU WILL REQUIRE ADDITIONAL DOCUMENTS.
- If you’ve recently married, bring your marriage certificate with you.
- If you’ve been divorced, bring the divorce decree with you.
- If you’ve received a court order changing your name, bring the court-issued document with you.
- Proof of legal presence in the United States, such as:
- Valid United States passport
- Birth certificate issued in the United States. Use our automated portal to order birth certificate online from the comfort of your home.
- Valid foreign passport with a valid visa to the United States and an I-94
- Proof of your MD residency (2 documents)
- Maryland driver’s license or title
- Bills for utilities, telephone, and cable/satellite television
- Statement of a checking or savings account
- Card or policy of life insurance
- Certificate of insurance or policy
- Tax invoice or receipt
- Mortgage statement or other evidence of homeownership
- Residential rental contract for an apartment or other rental property includes the landlord’s and tenant’s current legal contract or agreement, complete with all signatures.
- Priority or first class mail from a federal, state, or municipal government agency, including the contents and envelope, but excludes mail from the MD Motor Vehicle Administration Contract for installment sales from a bank or other financial institution
- Taxes on merchandise or business license
- Bills from major credit cards and department/retail store credit cards
- Contract for residential services
- Check that has been canceled with the imprint of the owner’s name and address
- Selective service identification card
- Proof of your Social Security (1 document)
- Authentic Social Security card.
- Recent W-2 forms that include your full social security number
- SSA-1099 revealing your full social security number and name
- Non-SSA — 1099 form that includes your full social security number
- Pay stub that includes your name and your social security number and is not older than three (3) months
- Document from the Social Security Administration attesting to your ineligibility for work.
- Evidence of ineligibility
Lost Your Birth Certificate? Request A Replacement Online
Instant Vital Records offers a birth certificate replacement service you can use from the comfort of your home. Enter your information and our software will automatically complete the required forms for your state. We print and mail your forms along with required payments to your state health department. You can trust that we take your personal information privacy and security seriously with HIPAA compliant data storage and data encryption. To get started, simply click here to begin your application. Your replacement documents will arrive by mail to your home within a few weeks.
About The Author
Krizzia Paolyn, is an SEO Specialist and author. She also holds a bachelor’s degree in Psychology. She started her career as a content writer for various digital magazines and renowned publications. It has always been her passion to share her voice, and at the same time, to encourage others to share their voices as well.